Assistant Utility Superintendent
Cable service – Zito Media – 1-800-365-6988
Garbage service – Contact Village Hall for any questions concerning garbage pickup.
Note: Waste Connections observes Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s. These holidays will be the only garbage pick up days that affect Dorchester.
Black Hills Energy – 1-888-890-5554
Ground phone service – Windstream 402-826-2111
Internet – Diode Communications – 1-800-203-1524
Lincoln or Omaha Newspaper – 402-946-2461
Crete Newspaper – 402-826-2147
Diggers Hotline – call 811 must be 48 hours prior to digging
Electric, Water, Sewer
You will receive your utility statement in the mail on the 1st of the month. A discount of 5% off your electric charge will be deducted if the entire amount is paid within the first five days of the month. Utilities are delinquent on the 15th of the month and will be assessed a late fee of $25.
If payment has not been received in full before the last day of the month, your electricity will be disconnected on the first business day of the next month. Reconnection fees are $50.00 per occurrence. Payments are accepted online, mail, hand delivery or by dropping your payment in the Village Office door. Debit or Credit Cards are accepted however there is a fee. Non-sufficient fund check fees are $35.00 which could result in cash or money order only for all utility payments thereafter.
Deposit on utilities is $250 for all utility services.
To Report a Power Outage or Utility Emergency
- Dorchester Village Office, Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 pm.
- After Hours Dispatch
- NEW! After Hours Emergency for Water, Sewer and Streets 402-381-8442
The utility department is requesting your attention to current sewer problems. Click here to read more information.
The current Dorchester Library hours are Saturdays 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
All pets are to be kept fenced or on a chain in accordance with Village code. No more than three pets (dogs/cats) are allowed per household. Pet licenses ($2.00 each) are sold at the Village Office.
Community building rental can be reserved and keys picked up at the Village Hall. Rent is $100.00 with a $350.00 returnable deposit as long as the building is left in excellent condition. The rent and deposit are to be paid in cash before the key is given to you.
Permits / Applications
A permit to build and paid fee is to be received at Village Hall before consideration. Commission approval is expected for anyone within a 1 mile radius of the city limits for all new construction, additions, fences, decks, basements and any related structures before work begins. When an application is received, the Zoning Administrators will review for approval.
If necessary, it will be passed on to the Planning Commission and forwarded to the Village Board for final approval as long as regulations are met. The permit is available below.
The Planning Commission consists of 5 appointed members: Justin Sand, Faith Nerud, Brent Zoubek, John Yeackley and Nancy Tellez.
Compost / Recycling
A dump site located just 1/2 mile northeast of town is available for Dorchester residents for branches, leaves and grass clippings. The dump site is closed over winter months. Check the marquee for dates and times the dump site is open.
***Current Dump Site hours are Monday & Wednesday, 2-6 pm & Saturday, 9 am – 5 pm.
Peddler’s permits are required.
- Every sales person needs to obtain a Peddler’s Permit from Village Hall
- ALWAYS ask to see the Permit if you did not initiate the stop
- If they don’t have a permit, they need to get one
- Call Village Hall (402) 946-3201 (after hours call Saline Co. Sheriff’s Dept (402-821-2111)
- Sales hours are between 9:00 am – 6:00 pm (unless given special permission)
- With your help Dorchester will be a safer community
Call Before You Dig! It’s SAFE, it’s FREE and it’s the LAW!
It’s your responsibility to consider where utility lines are buried before you dig. Whether you are a homeowner using a shovel to plant a tree or set a fencepost, or a major contractor using a backhoe to open a trench or excavate to make room for a basement.
- Call at least two full business days before you plan to dig. This free service will notify all utilities in your area of your plans to dig. The toll-free, nationwide Call Before You Dig number is 811.
- Within two business days, someone from each utility will arrive at your site to mark the approximate location of buried lines with paint or flags at no cost to you.
- Dig with care! Lines cannot be exactly pinpointed and the depth can’t be precisely determined.
- Please use extreme care when digging anywhere near the markings.
- Call to have the locations remarked for free if the original ones are disturbed or your project will be delayed by more than seven days. Don’t forget, you need to call at least two full business days before work begins.